The world is currently going crazy over the Corona Virus (aka COVID-19) and while we should all make an effort to live a healthy lifestyle on a daily basis, the most important thing we can do to protect ourselves from COVID-19 is to wash our hands frequently. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth before and after washing your hands as viruses and other germs can enter your body in this manner. Practicing good hygiene is always important – even when there isn’t a global pandemic!
When you are out and about in public, you touch things surfaces and well, let’s just be honest, you really do not know how clean things are or who touched that surface before you. You also do not know the last time that surface was cleaned and sanitized. The reality is, you may not have the luxury of running to the bathroom to wash your hands every time you touch something. In other cases, you may have access to a restroom but it just is not a convenient time to do so.
I carry hand-sanitizer in my purse for just these cases but personally, I am not a huge fan of hand-sanitizer or similar products (that is probably a blog post for another time). Remember, hand-sanitizer is not a substitute for proper hand washing, however, it does have its place.
I have a brand of hand-sanitizer I use and recommend. It is a product from Dr. Bronner’s and you can purchase it, ready-made, using the link that follows.
Here at Green Livin Girls, we like DIY rather than buying a commercial product. When it comes to hand-sanitizer, you have a number of options. Below is a hand-sanitizer recipe that you can make at home for yourself.
- 10 drops, Lavender Oil;
- 6 drops, Lemongrass Oil;
- 25 drops, Tea Tree Oil;
- 1 teaspoon, Vitamin E Oil;
- 2 oz. (12 teaspoons), Vodka, Witch Hazel or 99% Rubbing Alcohol;
- 1 oz. (6 teaspoons), Aloe Vera Gel;
- 2 oz., Glass Spray Bottle (clean).
A colored bottle is recommended to minimize exposure to light
- Add all of the oils oil to a small glass bowl and mix together;
- Add in the Vodka, Witch Hazel or Rubbing Alcohol and mix together;
- Add in the Aloe Vera Gel and mix well;
- Transfer the mixture to the spray bottle;
- Shake gently before each. Use 2-3 pumps onto your hands and rub in thoroughly; allow to dry.
Some of you may be wondering about the purpose of each ingredient. Below is a description of what each ingredient is good for.
- Lavender: Antibacterial and Antiviral;
- Tea Tree Oil: Anti-fungal, Antimicrobial, Antiseptic, Antiviral and Antibacterial;
- Lemongrass Oil: Antibacterial and Anti-fungal;
- Aloe Vera Gel: Antibacterial and Anti-fungal;
- Vitamin E Oil: Moisturizer and helps keep the mixture fresh;
Below are links to a few additional posts you might find helpful.
Here is to happy, healthy lives!